Friday, June 12, 2009

mommy low point

So, last Monday I had one of those moments where I had to repeat to myself "I'm not a terrible mother" over and over again. But it wasn't working.

So let me paint the picture. Its 7:56am on a Monday morning. I was supposed to have left by 7:30am. But since I never set an alarm anymore (thanks to "the lucas alarm") and Lucas decided to sleep in until 7:30am today, I was extremely extremely late. Granted, not the first time I've been late, but that subject is for another post. So I've got Lucas, I've got my coffee, purse, file thingy for work, lunch, and I'm off down the road. Frick! Cellphone. I turn the car around. Pull into the driveway. Throw it into park. Run into the house. Grab the phone. Run back out.

Oh my gosh, the car is locked.

Yes, with Lucas still inside. I ran in frantic. "Mark! I locked Lucas in the car!" My first thought was to determine which window to break. But as we assessed the situation further, we determined that Lucas was in no immediate danger so we decided to call our road-side-assistance people instead (although I did make a mental note of which window I would break if ever needed in the future). I was a little stressed at first but Lucas thought it was a fun game as we popped in and out of sight at the window next to him. But after a while, the laughter turned into a fuss, which quickly turned into hysterical crying. I am pretty sure that the neighbors passing by could deduct exactly what was going on as they witness these two frantic parents jumping around, holding stuffed animals and toys up to the window of a running car.

So, as Lucas became more hysterical, so did I. It was unbearable really, watching him cry and look at me with these helpless eyes. And i could do nothing for him.

Well, alas, after an hour of waiting (why it took an entire hour is a story I will not go into), Lucas was rescued by a very nice man from Sycamore with two children of his own. He assured us that this happens to everyone.

Sure, we'll go with that.

So, there you go. Let Lucas' list of reasons for needing therapy when he's 30 begin.

Sorry little bug:(

2 comments:

Mom/Barb said...

Oh guys, I'm so sorry....really a tough happening. Barb
ps...my word verification is crierr

Kim said...

Shoot linds. Welcome to the 'keys in the car' club where AAA knows you by name. Am I right Shmem?