Sunday, June 28, 2009

dogs and babies



My dad's dog, Duchess, has been around here for the past few days. During that time I have been struck by how many similarities there are between Duchess and Lucas:

*They both drool excessively
*The both get attention from others when out in public (although I was shocked--and somewhat perturbed to discover that Duchess got far more attention than Lucas at the French Market).
*They both get the word "No!" yelled at them on a regular basis.
They both induce the same sort of dorky baby talk from all of their admirers.
They are both fun to cuddle.
They both respond to their name and a handful of other words.
They both spend the whole of their existence sleeping and playing.
Both can be taken outside and played with for entertainment.

There are however some significant differences. These are items that one also may want to take into account in determining which species is right for them at their current stage of life:

*Sadly, if Duchess is lucky she will see 15 years of age. Lucas' life expectancy is a bit longer.
*When Duchess was 8 mos. old, she was walking, running, swimming, playing fetch and feeding herself. Lucas has done none of these things consistently nor successfully.
*Duchesses shots average about $100 a year plus the cost of food. The average college tuition in the 2008-2009 school year was $15,864.

Just a few observations over the past couple of days.



1 comment:

stageoflife said...

Lindsey and Mark,

I came across your blog today very randomly. My childhood dog was named Duchess but it was the mention about the stages of life that triggered my Google alert service to send me here.

I'm actually looking for people and writers to share their wisdom, thoughts, and experiences from their stage(s) of life in an effort to help others going through the same or similar stages.

I think my readers would benefit from your perspectives and joint-blog style.

Please reach out to me via our site or my blog if you're interested in contributing to our project.

Take care,

Eric
CEO/Founder
Stage of Life.com