Monday, June 22, 2009

Finding Summer

I don't remember who wrote it or where I read it, but it stuck with me...This woman was sharing how when summer begins to show itself, she will wake up on a Saturday morning and declare to her husband, "Let's go find summer today." Despite my Scandinavian roots, I'm not a big fan of the cold. When I'm outside and its cold, its like someone made the record skip. All that's running through my head is "Its cold--Its cold--Its cold."
Someone declares, "Just look at those mountains!"
Outwardly I delcare, "beautiful!!"
but inwardly: "Its cold."
"Isn't this fresh air amazing?"
Outwardly: "Amazing."
Inwardly, the record continues: "Its cold."

And then comes summer, with its easy skirt, t-shirt and flip-flop dressing, its lazy sunny afternoons outside, its sun-kissed shoulders, its farmers markets filled with fresh produce, its bike rides, its lakes and pools and so much more. Now the thing is, its not always easy to find summer. Especially when summer vacations are a thing of the past.

This past weekend, Mark and I drove up to Door County for a little "us time" to celebrate 4 years together as hubby and wife. I am happy to say, we found summer. A hike along the bluffs, standing ankle-deep in the water and letting the waves lap against our legs, laying in the sand, ice cream along the lake, wine-tasting, dinner outside watching the sunset. Yes, we found summer. It was great to see that old and faithful friend.

Here's the proof:




No comments: